We just got back from a vacation and are getting back to our soup for dinner diet after having indulged in the yummiest food and desserts over the last week. We have definitely put on some holiday weight but whats a good holiday without some great food? Now that we are back however it’s time to try and shed some of the pounds we gained and watch what we eat.
The idea for this soup originated one evening a few months back when my husband came home and told me he had had lipstick soup for lunch. All he could tell me about it was that it had beetroot. The only form I have had beetroot so far is in a salad. I do know that it’s low in fat, full of vitamins and minerals and packed with powerful antioxidants.
This is a super easy recipe with very few ingredients, needs very little prep and is fast to cook. The soup has the prettiest color, a rich magenta true to it’s name.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- Beetroot – 2 medium ones (Cubed)
- Butternut Squash – 1 cup (Cubed)
- Potato – 1 large (Cubed)
- Onion – 1/2 medium (Cubed)
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Vegetable broth / chicken broth – 4 cups (Unsalted)
- Salt – 1.5 teaspoons
- Black peppercorn – 0.5 teaspoon
- Fresh thyme – A few sprigs (3-4)
- Olive oil – 2 teaspoons
- Add the beetroot, potatoes, garlic, onions and squash in a pot with the olive oil and water, and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to the pot, cover the pot and cook for 25 minutes on low heat.
- Blend the contents of the pot using a hand blender.
- Add a few sprigs of thyme to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish with a sprig of thyme and serve hot. I added some croutons to my soup and it tasted delicious!