This recipe was a request from one of my dearest friends. We went to university together back in India. We’ve seen each other through the ups and downs of college life. Many a times I have ended up crashing in her room. We have partied together, stayed up nights studying for exams, eating instant noodles and drinking coffee. The coffee making process used to be a welcome event – a break from the books! And though we haven’t seen each other for 8 years now, I know we’ve still got each other’s back!
This recipe is also a request from a newer friend. I have only known her for a few years now. She is one of the kindest people I know. She’s a mum to a very cute 2 year old. We bond over being mothers of toddlers and food amongst other things. I look forward to many more years of friendship with her!
This soup is a hearty vegetarian soup filled with the goodness of green vegetables and lentils, easy to cook and perfect for cold wintry nights. As with most of my soup recipes this one is super easy to make and one of my favourite soups. My 14 month eats it and she’s a picky eater so I consider her a great judge of my food! I know that if she’s eating it, it’s good!
Spinach is one of my favourite vegetables and you’ll always find some in my fridge. It’s so full of nutrition. Remember Popeye the sailor man? Spinach was his superfood! It’s low in calories and packed with Iron, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
Red lentils are a healthy meat substitute for vegans. They’re rich in fiber and contain as much protein as a piece of steak! They are also packed with iron, folate and other minerals.
Here’s the recipe:
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- Spinach – 120 gms
- Red split lentils – 1/4 Cup
- Carrots – 1 Cup (Chopped)
- Onions – 1/4 Medium onion (Chopped)
- Garlic – 2 Cloves (Chopped)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Peppercorn – 1/4 teaspoon
- Nutmeg – 1/4 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoons
- Water – 3.5 Cups
- Add oil to the pot. Once the oil is hot, add carrots and garlic. Stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic and stir for a few minutes, till the vegetables turn a little soft.
- Add lentils and water. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to the pot and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add the spinach to the pot. Cover the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to blend the contents of the pot and simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Serve hot with a side of sauted green beans and mushrooms. Stay tuned for that recipe!
You could also eat it with nice warm crusty bread.
I hope you enjoy this delicious bowl of soup!