I feel guilty for not having blogged for the last few weeks. I’ve just been busy with a couple of new professional projects I have taken on and a couple of personal ones. Transitioning our little one to daycare has been one of them. Urgghh so hard! I don’t know who cried more the first day. On the bright side, I do have a little more free time now, which honestly feels like luxury! And I try to use that time productively, well most days. I have to admit having indulged in a few Netflix binge watching sessions. Ahh the simple pleasures of life!
Coming back to this recipe. Brunch is one of my favourite meals to eat. I don’t cook brunch as often though. Last Sunday I was craving my favourite brunch food, eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast with some hot coffee. But I also wanted to laze around in my PJs. So I cooked us some. I made this delicious potato, bacon and veggie hash topped off with an egg cooked sunnyside up and I ate it with a slice of avocado toast. Avocado toast is a breakfast staple in our house, loved by one and all! My husband ate it as an egg roll wrap.
Here’s the recipe:
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Cooked Bacon pieces – 85 Grams (1/3 Cup)
- Potato – 1 Medium (Finely chopped)
- Red Peppers – 1 Cup (Chopped in small cubes)
- Spring Onions – 1 Cup (Chopped)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Eggs – 2
- Heat a pan. Add bacon pieces and saute for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add potatoes. Saute for 5 minutes on medium heat. After 5 minutes turn up the heat and saute for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Add onions and peppers and cook for a couple of minutes on medium heat.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook for another 8 minutes on low heat.
- Fry an egg in another pan and cook the egg to your preference. (I liked mine sunny side up).
- Serve the hash, topped with the egg with toast. (For avocado toast, mash half of an avocado in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and spread on toast.)
Vegetarians could substitute the bacon in this recipe with mushroom. Add the onions and peppers before the mushroom.
To eat it as a wrap, beat an egg in a bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a pan. Add oil, followed by the egg. Let the egg cook for a couple of minutes on low heat and add a tortilla wrap (I used a whole wheat one) on top of the egg. Cook for a couple of minutes and then flip the tortilla. Cook for a minute or so. Remove from heat, add the breakfast hash and eat it as a wrap.
I hope you enjoy this delicious hash for breakfast or brunch!