Happy Monday to everyone! I know most people don’t look forward to Mondays. But I am hoping some of you will try this recipe this evening and that it’ll bring you a little Monday cheer! It’s been a cold and busy weekend for us. One that’s perfect for a hot bowl of this hearty coconut chicken curry and vegetables. So that’s exactly what we ate last night. There’s something about a bowl of curry and rice that warms you up and lifts your spirits instantly.
This recipe is really simple and calls for a few ingredients, but it’s absolutely delicious! I like my curry a little hot and so I added a teaspoon of Sambal’s ground red chili paste. You could skip that or add more if you’re feeling adventurous. Worcestershire sauce packs a savory punch, adds a tartness to the curry that I like. It does contain anchovies, so if you are allergic to seafood fish, you could substitute it with plain old vinegar. I have added carrots to my curry as I was looking for a hearty meal, one with vegetables and protein. You could add vegetables like zucchini, butternut squash, sweet potatoes or yam. They all taste wonderful in this curry.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe for you.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- Olive Oil: 5 tablespoons
- Chicken: 1/2 kilogram or 1 pound ( 2 Legs, 2 breasts cut in 3 pieces)
- Salt: 2 teaspoons
- Pepper: 1 teaspoon (crushed)
- Onions: 1/2 Medium sized (chopped)
- Carrots: 1 Cup (chopped)
- Garlic: 1 teaspoon (minced)
- Tomato puree: 2 tablespoons
- Chicken broth: 2 cups
- Coconut milk: 1 can (400 ml)
- Red Chili paste (Optional): 1 teaspoon
- Worcestershire sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Basil – 1/2 Cup (chopped)
- Jalapeños (Optional) – 2 teaspoons (chopped)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil in a pot. Add the chicken, 1 teaspoon salt and crushed pepper and pan fry on medium – low heat, till it’s a little brown and crispy on the outside and almost cooked through (About 20 minutes). Remove chicken from the pan and cool. Shred the chicken breast pieces once it cools down.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the pot and add the chopped carrots to the pot. Saute the carrots for a 3-4 minutes. Add onions and minced garlic to the pot. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add Tomato puree to the pot and stir for 3-4 minutes and add the coconut milk and chicken broth and salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and chili paste. Add the chicken and basil leaves to the pot and cook simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Serve hot with brown rice or enjoy as a bowl of hot coconut chicken stew. Garnish with jalapeños (optional).